Tuesday, June 3, 2014

DARIENNE LAKE: REPPIN IT 4 THE PLUS GUYS & GALS!


Anyone who knows me knows I’m a big fan of Rue Paul’s Drag Race. This season in particular has been quite an experience to watch. The producers of the show hit all their diversity points quite well. Asian, Blacks, Caucasians, Cubans, club kids, former Idol contestants and wait for it ….. A Perfectly Plus contestant. If you’ve seen season 6 (In my opinion the best so far) then you know in terms of perfectly plus I am speaking of the one and only Miss Darienne Lake. I have been a fan of hers from the start of this season! I guess for me there is an immediate connection with anyone in the plus community that is willing to put them selves out there. That’s something I can relate too. If you didn’t watch this season then I will give you a little inside info on this down right Drag-beauty queen. Greg Meyer aka Darienne Lake is from Rochester, New York. She is named after Darien Lake, the mega popular south of the border amusement park in New York State. I think alot of people (Esspecially people in the GTA) reading this will find that fact a given. She was the 4th runner up in this particular season (Shoulda been in the top 3 in my opinion). She is the queen of the lip sync smack down, defending herself 3 times before her sad sache away. Now that you have a few facts about this beautiful beast, then take a few minutes to read my lil “Heavy Weight Champion” interview with her. 

SHEENA: You have carried a inspiration Torch for many plus size men & women, how does that fancy you?
 
DARIENNE LAKE: I have been obese my entire life. My size has become as comfortable as my freckles. I struggled with loving myself in this body. I realized that I can love myself, in this body. I can also love my body in whatever form it is currently in. I've lost weight for vanity, and gained it back. Now I just try to make smart choices for health reasons. If I lose weight, fine, but that is not my goal. My goal is to live a full life without physical limits.

SHEENA: What are your top fav plus size retailers for women & for men?

DARIENNE LAKE: I have been shopping at Casual Male aka Destination XL as long as I can remember. I used to adopt the fashion of, if it fits, I'll wear it. Studying magazines help you be more creative in mixing and matching. Creating a style that works for you. Womanwithin.com has been a great source to find sheer to waist tights for thick thighs. When it comes to my costumes, I love sequins and glitter, so I make 95% of my drag. Drag is an exaggerated state of femininity and you don't find too many "costumes" at the Avenue.

SHEENA: The Gen Pop loved your plus sized Princess Leia dress, even tho it wasn’t a judge fav. Have you ever thought of marketing and selling your masterpiece?
DARIENNE LAKE: There is definitely a market for plus sized costumes. I haven't quite perfected my sewing abilities, but the ideas are there. Halloween isn't the only time of year people want to dress up. Most of the costume shops will sell larger sizes, but the quality is poor. Sturdy dolls need sturdy threads. I'm happy to pay for quality.

SHEENA: You have clearly been excepted in the drag community - Do you feel like you have been excepted in the plus community as well? If so which is easier?

DARIENNE LAKE: I never really immersed myself in the plus community. I knew of groups that used fat as a fetish, but I've always looked at myself as an alternative. It wasn't until recently that I heard about biggercity.com. So, I would say it was easier to be accepted by the drag community as I'm still learning about the plus community.

SHEENA: I see that you have 2 distinct styles in your persona, one being a more comedic character, and one being more of a sex kitten. Which do you relate to more?

DARIENNE LAKE: I think there can be comedy in being a sex kitten. Which, I don't know why we use the term sex kitten. Who would have sex with a kitten? Sick. I think I gear my sexuality on the energy on who I'm around. Sometimes you can just tell the way people are reacting to your sexual energy.

SHEENA: I died laughing when you said on RPDG6 "Molly you in danger girl" (For those who don’t know I suspect that's from the movie Ghost), does coming up with tag lines something you plan? or is it more of a natural thing?

DARIENNE LAKE: I am a huge movie buff, so dialogue from movies constantly comes out of my mouth. There were many examples this season. "Those aren't Cha Cha heels!" (Party box challenge/Female Trouble) "I'm wasting away to practically nothing." (Animal untucked episode/Little Mermaid) "what's in the box!" (Se7en) just to name a few. I like when I can connect with people through movie dialogue.

SHEENA: You have made a serious lasting impression on viewers. What sets you apart from other plus sized RPDR contestants of the past, such as Pork chop & Latrice Royale?
 
DARIENNE LAKE: Latrice and myself were lucky enough to make it to top 4, so we had the time to leave an impression. Latrice was a mother figure, and I was a sassy mother fucker. My humour can be snarky and obnoxious to some, but hilarious to others. What sets me apart from some of the other girls is I never let my confidence be shaken. I'm not much for showing my emotions, but I have to remind myself that strong people don't cry when they are weak, but cry because they have been strong for too long.

SHEENA: A lot of the other contestants in RPDR6 have slender builds, did you feel threatened by that? Or did you feel like it set you apart?

DARIENNE LAKE: I'm never threatened by people who are different from me. We could all wear the same outfit, lip synch to the same song, and get different performances. Some people snack on chips, some like chocolate, I'm salty and sweet for distinguished pallets.

SHEENA: What direction do you see yourself going in the future in regards to your Performing, and Plus inspiration? Because the world needs more Darienne Lake!

DARIENNE LAKE: I would love to write a book about body acceptance. Possibly a children's book, since so many kids struggle with loving the extra skin they're in. I had a dream about an elephant that would always hide in the shade. He was large, and grey, and didn't know the power he held inside. Until one day... Look for the Shady Elephant. I will also be touring and meeting the people who supported and believed in me.
 
Big kisses from the big girl, Darienne Lake xoxo

For more Darienne Lake hit up: 
dariennelake.com 
and 
dariennelake.bigcartel.com
for t-shirts that go up to 3XL


No comments:

Post a Comment